Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Photoshop apps
01-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Question Photoshop apps
You All KEQ graphic Gods what photoshop apps do you guys use to do what graphic designs you create. I Kinda want to try to do what ya'll do. I know it is not going to be easy I just want to try and join this side of the community. Thanks Big Grin

Just rollen in the dirt so nobody will see me.
Real soldiers are not afraid to get their expensive suits dirty.

[Image: lets_roll.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
RE: Photoshop apps
Photoshop CS is all you need. I believe CS6 is the latest version (could be wrong since I'm on 5) but you can pick up 4 for pretty cheap these days since you don't have to pay $1000 for the latest version.

There are plenty of signature tutorials around. Try this site as they have good step to step tutorials http://www.sigtutorials.com/

Also if you want more brushes, fonts just go font.com or deviantart.com.

[Image: JCxINGgif.gif] [Image: JCxSSsigKEQ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
01-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks!

01-15-2013, 11:51 PM
I use the school licensed CS6 PS full package durin school, and lowly GIMP 2.0 at home. But I mostly work at school
Brushes, like JC said, try deviantart, dafont.com is great for fonts...
01-16-2013, 12:13 AM
If cash is an issue, I strongly recommend Photoshop Elements. I believe it's on #10 or 11 now. You should be able to pick it up for <$100. It is a very capable program and also a very good stepping stone to learning photoshop.

[Image: BigSis_zpsf0609893.jpg]
[Image: KEQNeon_zpshmxnccsb.gif]
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks!

01-30-2013, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 01:55 PM by StarGeek77.)
I have created all of my forum signatures using GIMP 2.8. I now have PhotoShop CS5 and Light Room 3.6. (Light Room isn't used for graphic design though...)

GIMP is FREE. In my experience, GIMP does some things more intuitively than PhotoShop. PhotoShop has more filters and Content-Aware Fill.

If you're starting out and are serious about creating some sigs:
1. Learn to use layers!
2. Download lots of new fonts at dafonts.com and/or 1001freefonts.com
3. Try lots of different things and save often.

[Image: DerRiese77_zpsdb6f5c0e.jpg]
01-30-2013, 03:32 PM
(01-30-2013 01:54 PM)StarGeek77 Wrote:  I have created all of my forum signatures using GIMP 2.8. I now have PhotoShop CS5 and Light Room 3.6. (Light Room isn't used for graphic design though...)

GIMP is FREE. In my experience, GIMP does some things more intuitively than PhotoShop. PhotoShop has more filters and Content-Aware Fill.

If you're starting out and are serious about creating some sigs:
1. Learn to use layers!
2. Download lots of new fonts at dafonts.com and/or 1001freefonts.com
3. Try lots of different things and save often.

I got gimp. However I please need you to make a thread or somehting helping me to use layers. I suck at this stuff but want to be like you and the rest of the graphic artists.

01-30-2013, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 04:45 PM by StarGeek77.)
OK. You caught me on a good day...

Understanding how to use layers effectively is possibly the most important aspect to graphic design. The ordering of the layers in the list determines display order. A layer lower on the list is below (or behind) all layers above it on the list. A layer can be completely hidden by other layers above it on the layer list.

Separating items on layers means that you can affect them separately from other items in your project. For example, I can move text around without moving the background image because the text is on its own layer.

Note 1: this yellow & black dashed line shows the extent of the selected layer. Also note that the layer can extend past the image boundary; aka canvas size.

Note 2: the little eyeball means that the layer is displayed. No eyeball, the layer isn't displayed. A layer can still be affected even though it is NOT displayed.

Note 3: the little chain link icon means this layer is "linked" with all other layers that also have the link icon. This is useful if you wish to move several layers together.

Note 4: Opacity. 100% opacity is a solid image. Opacity below 100% means that the entire layer is partially transparent.

Note 5: the layer highlighted blue means it is the CURRENT (or selected) layer. Your actions only affect the current layer. The exception to this rule is explained in note 3.

[Image: Tutorial.png]

[Image: DerRiese77_zpsdb6f5c0e.jpg]
01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the help I have a few more questions but I'll ask them later Right now real life is having me sucked out the door.