Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
best explanation of LAG i have seen yet...
08-14-2013, 08:57 PM
best explanation of LAG i have seen yet...
This is specific to PS2 on PC but the guy is on the money in general....the only other guys I knew (besides myself) who can understand this to some technical degree were BattleCry1791 and AutumnWindz......

This guy does a very good job explaining lag in general...the variance between games is the degree of client side hit detection that is relied upon...and the threshold for high ping - meaning how long will a server allow a kill after the guy who had died has already moved well away from that spot on the map on his own screen...

Then, if you see this video of mine, you'll realise exactly why I was able to get away with this shit before they tightened up the compensation for high ping....I wonder what it will be like on PlayStation 4!

[Image: qUbK2dc.jpg?1]
MURDER, was the case that they gave me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2013, 11:28 PM
RE: best explanation of LAG i have seen yet...
Another great explanation....COD specific but the concepts apply to all games...

08-15-2013, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013 02:00 AM by Syde_Kick.)
Back in MAG I would go prone and stand up real quick and sprint into a bunny hop so I could create a lot of distance from my "echo" allowing me to get the jump on players.

So many people exploited that it was funny to watch people slide across the battle field because of the delayed stand animation

I'm at 5 mbps and live in Alaska, I have no idea where the Dust servers or the MAG servers or any server is located but I seem to do better in server based games

Awesome thread everyone needs to learn how to take advantage of this,
Aggressive > Defensive
08-15-2013, 01:56 AM
Oh yeah the MAG server was located inside Judg3's garage
08-15-2013, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013 02:35 AM by SerialNumber1221.)
(08-15-2013 01:41 AM)Syde_Kick Wrote:  Back in MAG I would go prone and stand up real quick and sprint into a bunny hop so I could create a lot of distance from my "echo" allowing me to get the jump on players.

So many people exploited that it was funny to watch people slide across the battle field because of the delayed stand animation

I'm at 5 mbps and live in Alaska, I have no idea where the Dust servers or the MAG servers or any server is located but I seem to do better in server based games

Awesome thread everyone needs to learn how to take advantage of this,
Aggressive > Defensive

Its your ratio of up/down speed and then your ping to the server that either gives you the edge or makes you suck...

MAG was about 95℅ server side but in cqc using low ttk weapons like the shotgun or lmg, or short - medium range head shots while scoped, were local detection...

PS2 has a lot more client side detection as the video shows...

Interestingly, I had situations in MAG when people proxy qq'd to me that I shot them but that they were behind me and I was shooting in the opposite direction to where they were on their screen...so the echo theory applied to MAG as well...in those situations, people would sponge the bullets UNLESS I got close enough or headshotted them to force the client side detection...

08-15-2013, 09:04 AM
(08-15-2013 01:56 AM)Syde_Kick Wrote:  Oh yeah the MAG server was located inside Judg3's garage

So true...

Great thread.

R.I.P. Terry Pratchet.

[Image: 4HhXMlO.gif]
05-13-2017, 08:41 PM
Necro thread, but i've been messing with FPS design for the last year in a few game engines....its very interesting...

These articles ae about how the technical aspects of lag compenstaion work, interpolation, extrapolation etc....

It's all to do with events in virtual space time....

Good read if you want to analyse how any hit detection works in multiplayer games. This information helps understand the system used in any game and how to adjust playstyles to make the most of the system used.

First article is better than second...

https://link.springer.com/article/10.100...012-0271-3

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki...timization

05-14-2017, 12:34 AM
My small brain has a hard time with this.

[Image: curby.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-14-2017, 01:25 AM
Yeah there are some key definitions and concepts to get your head around...even i did not know what some of the terms meant till i started getting into the detail...

TLDR is that regardless of which model or degree of client side any game uses, just keep zigzagging and randomly jumping/prone(if game allows) to mess with hit detection on your echo or ghost, which is what other players see...what you think is cover on your screen is your ass hanging out to get shot at on some enemies screen...

05-14-2017, 10:16 AM
(08-14-2013 08:57 PM)SerialNumber1221 Wrote:  the only other guys I knew (besides myself) who can understand this

hero

[Image: MaddenPS2_zpswreyu65x.png]