Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brewing
01-21-2019, 07:27 PM
Brewing
Any of you guys have experience in making Beer or Wine?

I'm taking an intersession Brewing and Economics course and got the technique down pretty well now, its a lot of fun.

I made my final recipe today, called it Blood Moon, its a Blue Moon with lots of red malts, blood oranges and saffron along with the usual Blue Moon coriander and valencia oranges.

I've also made a pretty good stout recipe!

[Image: LionTurtle91.png] [Image: 250.jpg] <---Me :-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2019, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2019 07:35 PM by SerialNumber1221.)
RE: Brewing
The saffron and blood orange must make an interesting combo.

I've dabbled in this in the past.

Try some exotic fruits like Jackfruit, Kiwi, Pomegranate etc. Jackfruit beer was really nice.

Also using agave was interesting because it gave a tequila-ish finish in the aroma and taste as it went down.

Good hobby and a even better business if you can make it work for you. Good luck!

[Image: qUbK2dc.jpg?1]
MURDER, was the case that they gave me.
Find all posts by this user
01-21-2019, 07:50 PM
(01-21-2019 07:31 PM)SerialNumber1221 Wrote:  The saffron and blood orange must make an interesting combo.

I've dabbled in this in the past.

Try some exotic fruits like Jackfruit, Kiwi, Pomegranate etc. Jackfruit beer was really nice.

Also using agave was interesting because it gave a tequila-ish finish in the aroma and taste as it went down.

Good hobby and a even better business if you can make it work for you. Good luck!

Nice, yeah I've had Oculto before and really liked the finish as well, I love tequila

[Image: 21245.jpg]

Yeah I'll have to look into those options though, I'm in a risk taking phase hahah but the reward when you get a good batch is the best.

Yea I've learned how ridiculous laws are even if I did get good at it to sell! But I can save money making some batches over buying from the store.

Someone else in our class tried a rosemary cranberry beer that was amazing! I'm hoping to experiment with herbs too.

01-21-2019, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2019 09:14 PM by SerialNumber1221.)
I think Oculto is made by blending as the label says.

What I mean is using it in the brew process, not mixing with a beer stored in tequila flavored barrels. Do a bit of reading into Agave essence or Agave nectar. The nectar, if added initially, will not have much effect on taste. It just converts to alcohol as its sugars.

The essence, if added post boil, as late as possible can give a nice flavour though. Nectar can do also, but flavour is much more subtle. But its damn tricky to get it just right and not overpowering.

I found a good place to learn was visiting brewpubs and sampling, and asking a lot of questions. The brewers are usually passionate and proud of their product and only too happy to help out.

Where i live presently has quite a culture of microbrewers, i should probably get back into it. My cellar is empty of all that posh wine because, well, I drank it all.

Maybe this could be the inspiration to get my brewing game back up! Thanks Turtle you just gave me something to do....besides shooting mans!

01-22-2019, 04:53 PM
Oh okay, yeah I imagine you'd have to add it to the last 5 minutes of the hour long hop boil phase if you'd like to extract more of the agave flavor. Otherwise too soon I'm sure you would just have excellent sugars to up the alcohol content but not add flavors.

Although, you probably could just use it as priming sugar when bottling as well instead of corn sugar or possibly add it during the secondary fermentation phase!

Yeah no problem, if you'd like, drop your email and I can send ya all the powerpoint's I've had during this intersession course. The professors been great and his powerpoints and documents have been really informative and great reads. He's normally a Biology professor at the college so he breaks a lot down in a microbio way so you understand better. It's been 5 hours of class 5 days a week for 4 weeks, so its essentially brewing boot camp haha

01-22-2019, 05:59 PM
A friend of mine from high school started out getting us drunk with his Dad's homebrew from the garage. Now he has his own brewery with 2 locations and a restaurant.

[Image: MaddenPS2_zpswreyu65x.png]
01-23-2019, 06:55 PM
(01-22-2019 04:53 PM)LionTurtle91 Wrote:  Oh okay, yeah I imagine you'd have to add it to the last 5 minutes of the hour long hop boil phase if you'd like to extract more of the agave flavor. Otherwise too soon I'm sure you would just have excellent sugars to up the alcohol content but not add flavors.

Although, you probably could just use it as priming sugar when bottling as well instead of corn sugar or possibly add it during the secondary fermentation phase!

Yeah no problem, if you'd like, drop your email and I can send ya all the powerpoint's I've had during this intersession course. The professors been great and his powerpoints and documents have been really informative and great reads. He's normally a Biology professor at the college so he breaks a lot down in a microbio way so you understand better. It's been 5 hours of class 5 days a week for 4 weeks, so its essentially brewing boot camp haha

Yeah mate that would be neat. I will PM you an email, alternatively you can just put them into a google drive or onedrive and send me a url.

Thanks a lot.

01-24-2019, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2019 10:29 AM by CUSE.)
Bro we are in the risk taking phase in life cause fortune favors the bold. I left my 60 hour a week job at the plant doing UT work and me and my girl started a tanning salon business. Now its the number one ranked salon in my city and we bought the place next to us and started a flower shop to do weddings and funerals.I just bought a gmc 2500 with a fisher v plow to start my land scapeing business up to. This summer is time buy some land and a house. America is the land of small business and i found don't ever waste your life working 9to5 making someone else rich.
01-24-2019, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2019 02:14 PM by SerialNumber1221.)
(01-24-2019 10:28 AM)CUSE Wrote:  Bro we are in the risk taking phase in life cause fortune favors the bold. I left my 60 hour a week job at the plant doing UT work and me and my girl started a tanning salon business. Now its the number one ranked salon in my city and we bought the place next to us and started a flower shop to do weddings and funerals.I just bought a gmc 2500 with a fisher v plow to start my land scapeing business up to. This summer is time buy some land and a house. America is the land of small business and i found don't ever waste your life working 9to5 making someone else rich.

Lol those salons got banned here because people said the cause cancer.

Fuck that work shit i retired in 2016 and I wasn't even 43. Life too short to just focus on work if you have the choice and money to say fuck that shit.

01-27-2019, 04:12 PM
Lol dam u old as fuk